Monday, June 18, 2012

First Race Registered



I thought my first race would be The Men's Health and Shape Night Run 2012 on the 14th of July. But when I finally decided to register after coming back from Umrah, registration was closed. Naturally, I was disappointed but there's always a reason behind everything that happens, a friend said. It's clear that I wasn't ready for any race in the near future. I certainly will not be ready for a race in July, which is next month.

On Saturday 16th of June, I reached my target distance of 10 km in running after slowly increasing from 3 km, 5 km and 7 km. I was aiming to achieve the goal by end of the month. One can achieve anything if one puts determination and effort into it. It's all in the mind, the body will adapt. In the meantime, I have totally changed my objective from losing weight to achieving a running (and later cycling) distance. I started off weighing 90 kg when I began my "keep fit and healthy" journey. I am currently at my lowest weight in a decade, 83 kg. Yes it's only 7 kg but it makes all the difference.

Yesterday I bought myself my first road bike, a Boardman Air Pro C. Initially, I was recceing on Pinarello brand. It's assymmetric frame is aesthetically pleasing and beautiful to look at. However, the brand is a bit too pricey for a beginner like me. A friend said, "It'll be like driving a Porche without a driving license". It so happened there was no bike within my budget at Cycleworx. It was fated that when I came across this shop The Bike Stop which apparently do Boardman , a UK brand. So I decided to check it out. I had seen Boardman bikes from its website http://www.boardmanbikes.com/ and they look stunning. This silver blue road bike immediately caught my eyes. It sounded corny but it was love at first sight.

Today, the day after I bought my first road bike, there's a chance to use it in a race. The Powerman Malaysia 2012 duathlon in November 2012 is open for online registration today. So as to avoid disappointment, without much ado, I signed up for the Sprint event, 5.5 km run , followed by 32 km bike ride and 5.5 km run to finish off. So now I have got myself into a commitment, to race. I will need a lot of help from friends in the Gaited Community (a FB page for runners) to train for the event because it will be my first race ever!

Which step have you reached today? Currently I find myself at the fifth step (out of eight) "I'll try to do it". Let's see if I could reach the pinnacle eighth step when I can say
"Yes, I did it!"


No comments:

Post a Comment