Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Surgery: For Better Or For Worse


There would come a time when one has to face with a sticky dilemma. Recently, I was faced with such dilemma myself. Ever since I change to an active lifestyle of running and cycling, I come to notice this lump at the back of my right knee, which may have been there for ages but only became more noticeable recently. It partially restricted the range of movement of my right knee causing tightness and sometimes aching. It was diagnosed as popliteal cyst or Baker's cyst.

The dilemma was whether to have the operation or just live with it. If I undergo surgery, I will not be able able to make it to the start of my race calender in October. If I don't, it could cause more problem in the future if the cyst burst. Come to think of it, it did give me problem way back in 2009 when it became inflamed and incapacitated me for a while. Finally, I decided to get it removed.

However, that was not the only dilemma. There were incidental findings on the MRI during the course of evaluation of the initial problem. I also have pre-patellar bursa and all these are due to osteoarthritis changes of my right knee. Retrospectively, I recalled that way back in 1989 at Rugby School, I sustained a horrific injury on my right leg. It was during a rugby practice when I was tackled which made my body twisted but my spike boots were stuck on the ground. I fractured my ankle as a result. I never thought years later my knees would sustain damage as well. The second dilemma was whether to have a second procedure done at the same sitting or not, which would increase the time needed for recovery.

I accepted it was fate. So I decided to deal with both problems at the same time. I went under the knife last Friday (7/9/2012). I underwent excision of popliteal cyst and arthroscopy of the right knee  under spinal anaesthesia. Thanks to my partner for erasing 2 hours of my life with midazolam. Honestly, I could not remember anything after I was turned prone. When I woke up clear-headed (thanks to flumazenil!), the surgery was over. Although I am still walking with the aid of crutches, I am already beginning to rehabilitate now as the surgery was uneventful and the repair was better than expected.

After the surgery, yet there is another dilemma. I was recommended to consider stem cell therapy for the osteoarthritis but I think I will put all my faith and fate to Allah. If Allah is willing, I will recover fully. I am on the road to recovery. I just can't wait to start running and cycling again and get on with my active and healthy lifestyle. My aim is to participate in Powerman at Putrajaya on 4/11/2012 followed by half marathon at Penang Bridge International Marathon on 18/11/2012.

Keep on running guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment