Monday, November 19, 2012

First Half Marathon Completed


I am proud to have participated in the Allianz Penang Bridge International Marathon yesterday that was recorded as the bridge marathon with the largest number of participants in the Malaysia Book of Records. It was a record of my own as well: my first half marathon (21 km in 3 hours), the longest distance I have ever run in an event so far bypassing the 18 km Newton Challenge Singapore which I did 2 weeks ago. It was a good bridging distance before I attempted my first HM. My next feat will be the 25 km Newton Challenge Malaysia in about 6 weeks time. I will gradually progress my distance to 30 km and attempt a few more half marathons before I even contemplate to do a full marathon distance of 42.195 km.



The question is why am I pushing myself to an ever-increasing limit? I may seem crazy to the people around me but I can tell you this. Once you get motivated to run, you just want more of it! However, I don't recommend anyone to jump right into the deep end and attempt a full marathon without proper conditioning of your body. You will get into lots of trouble and may get yourself injured or worst case scenario may even cause harm.

My advice will be to start slow, build up strength and most importantly, listen to your body. Get a proper running shoes and learn the proper running technique to prevent injury. It also helps to get yourself connected with people with the same interest or passion in running like The Gaited Community on Facebook for inspiration and motivation. Believe me! This advice comes from a guy who had previously said "Running is boring". Yes, I used to hate running!


Photos:
Above; at the halfway mark.
Below; with few members of The Gaited Community right after the APBIM yesterday with our "gigit medal" trademark pose (from left; Hizwani, Izam, Franco, me, Lini, KZ & Kuya)

2 comments:

  1. Well done on the marathon! Running can become addictive. It's a great way to start the day, doesn't cost anything to do and a good way to keep fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just ran the half marathon 21km. Yes! It is addictive! Even though at 3-4 km before reaching the finish line you kept saying to yourself "why did I do this to myself?", you will definitely come back for more!

      Delete