Friday, November 9, 2012

November Race Quadrilogy


28th October 2012 Newton Challenge 18km
4th November 2012 Powerman Duathlon 5.7km-32km-5.7km
18th November 2012 Penang Bridge International Marathon 21km
25th November 2012 JB Run 10km

That is my race schedule in October/November 2012. Crazy, isn't it? I may have been a bit too enthusiastic (an understatement!...)  in registering myself in races this year. Considering my first race (The BHP Run 11km) was only in July 2012, inexperience has gotten the best (or the worst) of me. Being a novice in running, I must admit I may have bitten more than I can chew and so soon after my knee surgery. I did not consider time for recuperation and recovery when I registered for the races. Actually I had forfeited two other races (Salomon Trail Run & Putrajaya Night Marathon) because of my operation.


The Newton 18 km Challenge took place at East Coast Park, Singapore. It was my first ever long distance race. Although my longest run is 21km on the treadmill, it was not the same running in a real race. Since it was just 6 weeks after a knee surgery I took it easy. I finished with a time of 2:26. This may be the beginning of many more races in Singapore. I discovered that races in Singapore are very well-organized and well-attended. . It is closer to travel to Singapore than KL from Johor Bahru. Most races in Malaysia are happening in KL. Moreover, there are not many races being organized in Johor Bahru anyway. What a shame!


The next race was my first endurance multisport experience, The Malakoff Powerman Asian Duathlon Championship. This race involved a run-bike-run format. I only registered for the Sprint event which required a 5.7 km first leg run followed by a 32-km bike leg and another 5.7 km second leg run to finish off (Long Distance Powerman involved a 11.4 km run- 64 km bike- 11.4 km run). My official result was No.295/411 2:47:30 2:47:21 0:38:23 0:04:06 1:08:20 0:04:08 0:52:25. I experienced signs of cramps during the bike-run transition so much so that I had to take it easy on the second leg run. I thought it was better to be able to finish rather than be carried away injured. It was a memorable experience, nonetheless. Call me Half-Powerman!

My next race will be the Penang Bridge International Marathon where I will run a half marathon 21 km. It will be followed by the JB 10k Run. Since a JB event is hard to come by, I registered to show my support even though I may still be recovering from my half marathon attempt in Penang.

No comments:

Post a Comment