Thursday, April 12, 2012

Progress Update: Plateau Again


There is nothing more discouraging than stepping on the scale and not seeing a drop in the number. The worst has to be seeing the number go up instead. For the past few weeks I have been seeing the number go up and down like a yo-yo sometimes in a span of a few days. Have I hit the weight loss plateau? What's reassuring to know is that the plateau is a common problem among those who are trying to lose weight despite diligent dieting and grueling workout. However, I know EXACTLY what my problem is. Although I am not slacking off in my workouts, I am definitely slipping up on my diet. I am guilty for not following as strict a diet as when I first begun this quest.

Although I am still drinking plenty of water and exercise on alternate days (2 of the 3 components of my master plan), I am not particularly strict with my caloric intake. I eat more fruits and vegetables now than ever.  I follow 6 meals a day regime. I never miss breakfast. I snack on healthy foods like fruits and nuts. I still practice portion control. I still manage to resist liquid calories and most unhealthy snacks that I used to love e.g sweets, crisps, milk chocolates etc. My mistake is that I am not watching what I am eating during the three main meals. I am not so worried about breakfast because it is supposed to be the main meal of the day. Like they say "breakfast like a king". The other 2 main meals, especially dinner, that are causing the slip up. It has been quite busy on-call lately, doing cases till late at night like till 2 am! The money is good but at the expense of rest and sleeping time. Getting enough sleep is also part of any weight management plan.

From now on, I need to fine tune my plan.
1. Reduce caloric intake. Watch what I am eating especially for dinner.
2. Reduce my salt intake below 2000 mg per day. How I am going to calculate that, I am not sure.
3. Drink more water.
4. No processed carbs like sugar, white flour, chips.
5. Hit the gym hard! Yeah! To get my motivation up high, I am waiting for the arrival of my new Nordictrack treadmill - the most expensive investment for fitness ever.

Today I weigh 85.2kg. Hopefully, I will break the 85 kg barrier in the next progress update. I know there will be highs and lows. I just have to be patient and know that it will be all worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment