Sunday, April 1, 2012

Progress Update: Birthday


Today is my 43rd birthday. Another year has come and gone. A lot has happened in the last one year. A friend said one needs to experience one life-changing event to change the course of one's life. How so true! My 42ndth year of life had been one hell of a ride, figuratively speaking.

Although mentally I do not feel my age, physically the four decades have taken its toll. I suffered ailment after ailment. First, I had renal colic which required an operation in November 2011. Then I had a really chest infection in February 2012. Moreover, following recovery from the pneumonia, I found out that my blood pressure was higher than normal. Then reality struck me right in the face. I need to do something and change my lifestyle.

I realized that I have been leading a sedentary lifestyle. I have not been doing the recommended three-times-a-week 20-30 minutes exercise. I am not participating in any active sports apart from swinging at the golf range. The only time I break into sweats is when I do some gardening. Furthermore, I am not eating the right kind of food. My love of food does not help at all. I live life to eat. Actually I knew that I may have hypertriglyceridaemia and borderline hypercholesterolaemia way back in 2010 when I did a blood test for insurance purposes. I started taking medication because I want to reduce it without any effort.  Since I am a doctor, I can self-prescribe and self-treat. Something I would not recommend anyone to follow. But I should know better that a lifestyle change is a more appropriate course of action: exercise and diet modification.

And so this blog was created to motivate myself in my journey or quest to lead a fit and healthy lifestyle. Now I have started exercising regularly. I am thinking of taking up golf and cycling to add variety to my exercise routine. Cross-training is the keyword. I have also made changes to my dietary habits (with occasional treats like today). Now I am watching what I eat, trying to stay true to the motto "eat to live". I hope I can make this lifestyle change to last my whole lifetime for the better of me.

Indeed, a Happy Birthday to a new healthy lifestyle!

3 comments:

  1. A journey have to start with the first step and somewhere in our life. It's never too old or too young to start anything good. Have a happy journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TQ

    Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step ---Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

    ReplyDelete