Saturday, March 31, 2012

Progress Update: Back On Track


I know. It's only been 3 days since my last progress update (the setback). This is a special update on the eve my birthday. Just count how many big candles and small candles on the cake, you can figure out my age. Thank God they didn't put as many candles as my age on the cake! You'll get a bonfire!

Today I pushed myself to the a new exercise LIMIT to see whether I can last the distance of 10 km on the cross-trainer. Another reason for this test-my-limit workout is for preparation for tonight's Western dinner binge. At least, I won't feel so guilty. It's my birthday after all.

The workout went well. I am not sure whether the pace on the cross-trainer is the same as on a treadmill run but here's the stats. I made the distance of 10 km in 35:30 with 400 Cal burned. After the last 200 meter sprint, my maximum heart rate was 170 bpm with average heart rate of 140 bpm throughout the workout. This is definitely a landmark achievement. Now I know I can last the distance on the cross-trainer. I may need to try on a treadmill to see if there is any difference.

Oh yes almost forgot! Another good news today. I am BACK on track. At the weigh in after the 10-km workout, I am now sub-86 kg (85.8 kg). My waist is now 40 inches making my body fat percentage 11.5% and resting metabolic rate of 2281 Calories per day. I've won a battle but the war is not over yet. More importantly, my plan to be fit and healthy is well under way.

Quoting a friend who wrote "Actually if you don't make losing weight your objective, it takes the pressure off and you will find losing weight easier. When you train to run faster, you will naturally do all the right things which coincidentally are the things you need to do to lose weight. Easier said than done though."

He's right in a way for someone who actually train for a marathon. But training for marathon involves different kinds of physical (LSD), dietary (carb loading) and mental preparation. Since at the moment I am not training (or even planning) to run a marathon, I have to set myself a tangible objective which is weight loss. Maybe when my stamina improves, I may start thinking of ways to push myself beyond my limit. I am seriously thinking of taking up road cycling and maybe competing in a DUATHLON. That'll be the ULTIMATE test of endurance for me. My last competitive running was the 10-mile Crick Run in 1988. That was a tough cross country run through muddy tracks and farmyard in cold, rainy weather. I remember at the end of the race everything was cold and numb especially my fingers, ears and nose. It was a good time but I was beaten by a few girls. It was fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment