Thursday, March 1, 2012

Exercise: No Pain, No Gain


This is by far the hardest part of my get-fit-and-healthy plan to execute but I have got to do it by hook or by crook. No pain, no gain! I have got to get myself out of this unhealthy, sedentary lifestyle. Most of my friends are taking up or are already doing all kinds of sporting activities like cycling, running marathon, swimming, tennis, badminton, bowling, golf and one is even training for triathlon. I don't see myself running a marathon or participating in a triathlon in the foreseeable future. However, I can see myself either getting fit and healthy or getting a heart attack. Nobody wants the latter to happen. God forbids!

So I figured..... to avoid the worst case scenario, I have got to change my lifestyle for the better.
Plan 1: drink more water is going well. I am definitely drinking more water than before. As a result, I also have to go to the toilet more often.
Plan 2: healthy eating is also in progress. I have begun with having regular 3 meals a day, reducing portion size, eating fruits, sandwich & apple lunches, avoiding sweet drink & snack temptation (though I am guilty at times). In fact, I have already ditched my favorite cordial drink i.e. Ribena during meals. That has definitely reduced my calorie intake. But there is a long way to go. Realizing that eating a healthy diet is where healthy living starts is a good beginning.
Plan 3: exercise is just starting. I have some rough idea of how to execute this plan. At first, I am going to take it slow and steady so that my body can get used to the stress and strain of exercise. After all, I am not young anymore. I will start with riding the elliptical rider (which has been our towel hanger!), weight training with dumbells, jumping rope, cycling & visiting the golf driving range/putting green more often.

I am still in the process of reading about the forms of exercise & the kinds of food that could promote fat burning & weight loss. So in the meanwhile, let's just imagine the body you have always dreamed of like the image above. That's the final objective! (so that you could fit in a G2000 shirt) Come on! Be real! I'd be happy just to lose that belly fat.

To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment