Thursday, March 29, 2012

Progress Update: Plateau


The last two postings addressed the problem I have at hand. It has been only one week since the last progress update. The first 4 weeks was very encouraging. I managed to lose almost 5 kg in 4 weeks. BUT then I hit a wall. The weight loss just stopped. My progress was halted dead on its track. In fact, to make matters worse I have regained about 2 kg. Now I weigh 87 kg. A major setback in my quest. Three steps forward and two steps back.

At first, there was denial. I put the blame on the weighing scale. Recently, I bought a new digital weighing scale which is more accurate than the existing decade-old analog scale. It was on Groupon discount. A good bargain. It measures weight, body fat and body water percentages. Actually, there is a +/- 1 kg error with the old analog scale. Come to think of it, my initial weight at the beginning was probably off by 1-2 kg.

However, I can't put the blame totally on the machine. As far as my drink more water plan it is becoming second nature to me. I am drinking about 3 liters of water a day. Exercise plan is also going well. I am exercising at least on alternate days or if I am pumped up on consecutive days. My routine usually consists of 15 minutes H.I.I.T on elliptical trainer followed by strength training with dumbbells. I have been increasing the weight gradually by 2 kg each time from 6 kg to 12 kg. I am aiming for lower reps with heavier weights to increase muscle mass. I am not trying to bulk up like Incredible Hulk though.

So it must be the third component of my plan that is at fault: my eat healthy plan (or you can call it diet). Truly enough it does not go according to the original blueprint though not in totality. I can still manage portion control, consuming less carbohydrates, more protein, more fruits and vegetables, less sugary drink and snacks, snacking on healthy alternatives and adding healthy oil supplement. So what's the problem? I can actually pinpoint what's spoiling my eat healthy plan: EATING OUT.

Eating or dining out is one of the pleasures in life. It's part of Malaysian culture whereby many restaurants open till late at night or even 24 hours a day. It also doesn't help that I love food so much. One of my hobbies is cooking. I love to cook for friends and relatives. I love to see them enjoying the food I cook for them. Unfortunately, all these won't help when I am attempting to lose weight. So how to go eat out without guilt?

Eating healthy does not mean you have to ban all restaurant dining. You have to arm yourself with strategies that can help you avoid dietary landmines. Preplanning and smart ordering makes healthy eating out possible. It's called clean eating. Clean eating is more of a lifestyle change than a diet. It can help you enjoy the occasional restaurant meal without the guilt.

  • Exercise portion control
  • Avoid meals or ingredients with excess amount of unhealthy fats.
  • Avoid high calorie drink or dessert.
  • Plan meal at a restaurant as a special treat. An occasional indulgence is a nice way to mark progress with your weight management and fitness goals.
My birthday is coming up in a few days time. I have already planned a dinner at a restaurant nearby. I just hope I can put those strategies to the test but I don't want to spoil the occasion. It's my birthday after all! 

4 comments:

  1. bro, you are doing great with your commitment with exercise. THIS COULD MEAN THAT you are losing only water during the first 2 weeks or since u are doing resistance exercise using weight, u are adding muscle bulk too. i agree that eating out is a factor that could contribute to the rebound since they add so much salt to the food they prep for u. salt causes water retention, hunger, CHO craving. the resistance exercise contribute to the hunger if you are skimping on the right food type too, so sometimes you tend to overeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes as i suspected, the initial weight loss was mainly water. it was just too easy to lose 1kg/week. quick weight loss like that tend to cause rebound gain. as i am building muscle as well i don't expect to lose so much. just want to get rid of the flabby spare tyre, look good to the wife, feel good inside & lead a fit & healthy lifestyle.

      Delete
  2. if you like to cook, then cook healthy. make your own burger patty.
    My last nasi lemak was last week. my last teh tarik, I can't remember. But make sure you've taken enough carbs for your workout. enough carbs and protein for recovery. if it is very intense (above 15km runs) the vitamin c will help the recovery. human immune system gets week after intense works out.

    You have not mentioned whether you get enough sleep. Sleep and rest is another component often overlooked. Make sure you get a good nights sleep. If you sleep late, have a nap in the day if possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love to cook. i may have to modify most of my recipes.
      i still make sure i eat protein, carbs, fruits & veges. i don't need carb loading i think coz i m not running long distance. i do HIIT for 15min total of 4 km only plus weight training. i may need to eat more protein as i want to sculpt my muscle.
      as far as sleep is concerned, bcoz of my profession as a doctor i have to be oncall on certain days. sometimes sleep hours can be erratic.

      Delete